Monday, April 30, 2012

Cutting Out Images Using The Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop


Cutting out images using the Polygonal Lasso Tool in Photoshop can be a very detailed process. It is a fantastic tool if you want to cut out images from a background and be left with a transparent background.
In the tutorial below, I had to cut out the background image from a coffee cup so I could use that image on a banner that I was making. I had to cut around the coffee cup picture and then also cut the background part away from inside the handle of the coffee cup. This is all shown in the video tutorial below. It is not an easy process to actually explain unless you are doing it right there on the video. If you do not have Photoshop there is free image editing software that can possibly do the same thing.
When cutting out images from backgrounds, I sometimes I try to use the Magnetic Lasso Tool in Photoshop, however in this case it would not work. The magnetic tool kept clinging to the wrong lines and therefore I needed to use the Polygonal Lasso Tool to do the job.
I needed the cut to be perfect, well the best that I could do, because I needed the cut out image for a very expensive large banner.
Free Getting started with Photoshop PDF report.

Cutting out images using the Polygonal Lasso Tool – Why?

Cutting out images using the Polygonal Lasso Tool is a great way to cut out a very detailed picture from a background. For example you could cut out a picture of a flower with branches and have it with no background. Having no background means it will have a transparent back ground which is great for placing on to new backgrounds. In the example below I cut out the coffee cup, and then place the cup or not to my banner and can move it around wherever I like.
In the Screen shot below I have circled the Polygonal Lasso Tool. All you have to do is right click on the Lasso tool icon and you can choose the tool that you need.
cutting out images using photoshop

Watch this video below on Cutting out images using the Polygonal Lasso Tool


Download this Free Getting started with Photoshop PDF report.
If you have any others tips and tricks about cutting out images using the Polygonal Lasso Tool please feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Search This Blog