Thursday, April 26, 2012

I get an error that says, “not enough server storage is available to process this command.”

Here is a question: I have two systems networked to share internet connection thru a residential gateway (router). I’m trying to get them to file share but it never works. I look in my workgroup and I see both systems listed, I have the files/folders I want to share enabled, they even show up, but I’m unable to access them. I get an error that says, “not enough server storage is available to process this command.”
My system one is XPpro64-bit, the 2nd is XPpro, both NFTS file system. The router is Netgear WGT624, I tried enabling UPnP, and that seemed to get me a bit closer. It showed my system on a “local network,” but not both systems. I’m wondering if it’s the routers firewall preventing file sharing. I checked and really there is that SPI firewall, but I don’t want to disable that.
I tried creating a network drive and that didn’t work either. Any ideas?
When you try to access shared files and folders on some Windows operating systems, you sometimes get the following error message: “Not enough server storage is available to process this command.” This can sometimes mean that the IRPStackSize is not present in the Registry or if it does exist, the default value may not be large enough for the server service to administer shared folders on some of the physical drives.
To solve this annoying error you will need to open the Registry and navigate through it. You will have to edit settings in the registry, which can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. Altering the Windows registry on your computer is a touchy subject as one wrong move can crash your computer and make it unusable. You can get a pro to do it for you or you can be a daredevil and do it yourself. Just remember that there 

How to add IRPStackSize to your Windows registry if it does not exist:

  1. Go to the Start menu at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Choose  Run from the menu. If it isn’t there press the WINKEY and the letter R on the keyboard.
  3. Type regedit and then click OK.
  4. Navigate to the following registry key by clicking on the small arrows to expand the folders.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServices
    LanmanServerParameters
  1. When you reach the Parameters folder select it by making it blue. Then you will see a list appear in the right pane.
  2. If you do not see  IRPStackSize mentioned there, then we have to add it. See below.
  1. To add it, right click on the Parameters folder and a menu will appear.
  2. Choose new, then choose DWORD (32 bit) value from the menu.
  3. A new value will appear in the list. Name it IRPStackSize exactly how you see it here.
  1. Double click on the IRPStackSize entry to enter a data value.
  2. Enter the default value which is 15 in decimal base. See the screenshot further down.
  3. Close the Registry Editor.
  4. Restart the computer.

How to change the IRPStackSize DWORD value in your Windows Registry:

If you already have the IRPStackSize in your registry then you might just need to change the value data for this. Navigate to the correct area as shown in the tutorial above. When you double click on the IRPStackSize entry you will come up with a edit dword box as shown below. Obviously 15 is not working for me so I might change it to 18.
Then when I restarted the computer I will go back and see if I can share the same files and access them. If the errors still persists then go back and try changing it again. It is recommended by Microsoft that the IRPStackSize value be increased in increments of 3.

Which computer should I increase the IRPStackSize on?

Just say you are trying to access a shared file and the computer you are on comes up with this error message “Not enough server storage is available to process this command”. This means that you have to change the IRPStackSize on the other computer. Not the one you are getting the error on. Its the computer that holds the shared files that you were trying to access that has the problem. So go to this computer and fix the error.

No comments:

Search This Blog